7.6.12

Equality Street

I think I was reading the newspaper at my grandparents' house when I read that there was a hateful homophobic lady who would be leading an anti-gay protest in the park around the corner. I had to go. There was a fair amount of people there and it was growing. I went around trying to get a feel for what the crowd stood for and it seemed to me that the lady was on her own in her hateful views.

The park was getting busy and loud. I shouted "ok if we're going to have this debate let's try to have some order, let us stand with those who are on our side" and nobody moved. Only the lady was the other side of the basketball court. I went to go and speak to her.

As I walked over I could see the whole Tesco staff in their uniforms had come and were filling a watch tower to make sure there was no trouble. I looked back down to the basketball court and was walking towards the lady when I saw a young teenager walking away from her. I asked her if it was her son and it was. I asked her how she would feel if her son was gay. How could she fight for her son to have less rights than everybody else? She didn't say another word. The event seemed to be over.

I walked around and found out that people had read about the protest and driven hours to be there. The overwhelming support for the gay community had helped change the way the lady thought about those who were different to her.